Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Passing through


During my travels at the week-end I passed through Wellingborough railway station. The detail of the architecture caught my eye.

From Wikipedia I learn that it was built in 1857 (designed by C A Driver). There is apparently a plan to rotate the whole building shortly when that part of the town is rebuilt. Even more uncanny is the detail of an accident in 1898 when a trolley ran onto the track in front of an express train, killing 6 people and injuring 65: a ripple nearly lost in time.

3 comments:

  1. You get to see so many amazing buildings in England. The architecture is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! But the funny thing is, I strongly suspect that most of the population of Wellingborough don't think there's anything special about their station at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore romantic old stations like this one. Wonderful photo!

    ReplyDelete