Monday, February 16, 2009

A walk below the North Downs, and a local church

Today the dog and I went for a walk at the foot of the North Downs, and I called into a local church on the way home for a moment of quiet and (if I'm honest) because I thought some snaps for here would be nice!

This is where we were headed:



As you can see the chalk of the Downs has already begun here, and there are lots of old man's beard,



And gnarled old yew trees:



After the walk, it's back in the mobile kennel:



On the way back we passed a hidden pond, revealed by the bare winter branches:



And came to this church:



where I rather liked this headstone:



and the handsome carving over the porch:



Inside, I was struck by the staircase:



and the everlasting tree depicted behind the altar:



As I left I saw the font,



And finally put my muddy boots back on to go home:

5 comments:

  1. I have a weakness for old churches. Thank you for taking me along on this heavenly walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for commenting Willow. It was a nice morning anyway, but it's even better to have a few words in reply :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a good walk. Yew trees are one of my favourites. Everything about them is cool. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Northern Hemisphere has so much more to offer in historicaal walks than the 'New World'
    which mainly has a vast amount of space and nature. Human habitation except in cities is rather sparse, I'm not complaining, somehow I rather like to keep humanity at arm's length.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The downs look like a sublime landscape. Thanks for sharing this, Alice

    ReplyDelete